Blog

Is that Health Care or Sick Care?

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Let me start with the fact that I have believe that everyone has a role, that everyone can do some good.  Whether you are a Chiropractor, Acupuncturist, a GP or a Surgeon, we all have our part to play.  I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone, I only look to deepen our understanding.

 

I think its important to have a context or some sort of frame of reference with regards to our thoughts about healthcare.  

There are 3 categories or types of service in healthcare.

  1. Crisis Care- Something really bad has happened and needs immediate attention, be it a heart attack or trauma, etc.  I find it absolutely amazing what technology and Emergency Medicine can do to save peoples lives.  
  2. Disease Management- This is when a person has a disease process that requires management examples diabetes, reflux, heart disease.  This is where most General Practitioners and many specialists do their best work.
  3. Epigenetic Care- AKA “Wellness care”.  Genetic influence is thought to make up approximately 25% of your health, the other 75% is environmental and lifestyle factors.  People who make their work in this category are concerned with proactively generating better health before symptoms are present.  Example:  I may have diabetes in my family, but by eating healthy and managing stress, etc I may be able to shut down aspects of my genetics that may contribute to the cause of diabetes.  Dieticians, Chiropractors, Naturopaths, Acupuncturists have the tools to do some of their best work in this area.  This type of care can be thought of as one component of an overall approach to better health.

If, and when, you are using the first 2 types of services, there is already a problem going on.  You go to the Medical Doctor because there is already something wrong. A small portion of Medical visits are checking on a person when they do not have any symptoms.

Have you ever woke up feeling refreshed and great and ready to take on a beautiful day and then say to yourself  ”I better go see me MD today?”  No, you haven’t!

I suggest that the first 2 types of service should be called “Sick care” instead of “Health care”.  The first 2 services are, after all, are concerning themselves with 1) Keeping people alive and 2) Managing their Disease.  Caring for the sick should be know as “Sick care!”

The third type of care, epigenetic or wellness care, will often be a great tool for getting the sick feeling better.  This type of care also has the ability to increase ones maximal health potential.  This I suggest is true Health Care- keeping people healthy!




Comments
Post has no comments.
Post a Comment




Captcha Image

Trackback Link
http://www.backontrackchiro.com.au/BlogRetrieve.aspx?BlogID=10784&PostID=697064&A=Trackback
Trackbacks
Post has no trackbacks.